Where Does Your Trash Go?

Materials Recovery Facilities

Available Services


Hazardous Waste

It is illegal to dispose of hazardous materials into your containers, down the drain, or by abandonment. Hazardous Waste is any product labeled toxic, poisonous, corrosive, flammable, combustible, or an irritant. Examples include (but are not limited to): antifreeze; automotive fluids; cleaning products; compressed gas cylinders (full or empty); fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides; paint; pharmaceuticals; pool chemicals; solvents; and more. County of Los Angeles, S.A.F.E. Collection Center takes small business quantities by appointment only. For a complete list or materials or for more information, visit http://ladpw.org/epd/hhw/

Electronic Waste

Electronic Waste (E-Waste) refers to any electronic equipment nearing its end-of-life. Electronics can include those devices that utilize electrical wiring, plug into an electric outlet, or take a battery or light bulb. Items can include: computers, phones, televisions, refrigerators, circuit boards, flash lights, light up toys and key chains, fluorescent bulbs/tubes, appliances, extension cords, network equipment, video games, all batteries, and more. To learn more, click here.

Holidays Observed

The City of Whittier and Athens Services observe New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (4th of July), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If the holiday falls on Monday – Saturday, collection services for the remainder of the week will be delayed one day. If the holiday falls on a Sunday there will be no delay in service.

Additional information COMING JUNE 2017


Learn how to properly dispose and what waste belongs in what container

What goes in my container?

What goes in my blue container?

The blue container is for the collection of recyclable materials; mixed waste paper (including newsprint, ledger writing and copier paper, junk mail, magazines, glossy paper, paperback books, cereal boxes, paper grocery bags, wrapping paper, corrugated cardboard, aluminum foil and cans, glass jar, bottles, steel (tin) food cans, coat hangers, bi-metal beverage cans, juice boxes, milk cartons and all other materials that can be recovered at the processing facility.

What goes in my black container?

This container is for household trash items such as bathroom waste, candy bar wrappers, chip bags, cigarette butts, diapers, disposable gloves, foam, packaging peanuts, palm fronds, pet waste, plastic bags, cacti and succulents, yucca leaves and other solid waste materials considered to be no longer of use. But don’t worry: if you accidently put a recyclable in this container, we’ll recycle that for you.

What goes in my green container?

The green container is for the collection and recycling of yard trimmings and organics. Yard trimmings include grass clippings, leaves, brush, branches, tree trimmings and other forms of organic materials less than 4 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length generated from landscapes and gardens.

PLEASE, NO palm frond, yucca leaves, bamboo, rocks, dirt or trash; if these items are placed in the green container, it will be tagged and your card will not be serviced until these items are removed.

What goes in my brown container?

The BROWN container is for horse manure. Less than 1% of the population has a brown bin.
If you require one, please call 1-800-773-2489.


Automotive Parts, Batteries, Construction Debris, Cleaning Products, Electronics, Flammable Material,  Compact Florescent Bulbs Or Tubes, Paint, Pool Chemicals, LED Lights, Medical Waste, Pesticides or Herbicides, Universal Waste, or Other Hazardous Material. For proper disposal options, click here.